Monday, August 2, 2010

A Recipe to Share

I have another recipe for everyone and by everyone I mean even my vegetarian friends, that's how aware I am of my readers, all four of you.

I am stealing it from Clean Eating Magazine. If you don't have a subscription, I highly recommend it. Ask for it for your next birthday or Christmas present. Our meals are usually cooked from those magazines. The only downfall is when you make something really good from it, then you can't remember which magazine it was in or what page it was on. I'm sure that could be easily remedied by simply writing them down in a little booklet. That would be too easy, right?

This recipe is perfect for everyone because we had it for dinner, but you can make it and keep it for lunches, and it's contents can be completely altered to your liking! I loved it, Casey did not, but I know how I would change it so he would like it.

Quinoa Bowl

3 c. dry quinoa
1 c. cilantro, chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 can of black beans, drained
2 avacados, diced
4 limes, juiced (this may be a little less depending on if you like citrus)
zest of 1 lime

Dressing:
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. white vinegar or rice vinegar (I used rice.)
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, minced
sea salt and pepper to taste


Here's how you make it:

1. Cook the quinoa so it's nice and fluffy...I cook it in about 2 c. water, bring to a boil, put a lid on it, turn down the heat and let it cook through. Then I fluff it with a fork.

2. While quinoa is cooking, dump beans, tomatoes, and cilantro into the bowl you are going to use to serve/store it in.

3. Chop avacados, put in a small bowl and squeeze a little lime juice over them so they don't brown.

4. Make the dressing by putting olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper into a food processor or a mini chopper until it gets all blended and creamy looking. Keep it to the side.

5. When the quinoa is done cooking, squeeze the limes and put in the zest and stir. HERE IS WHERE I LOST CASEY. He doesn't like lemon or lime to take over a dish. I like it. I squeezed 'em all, but next time I make it, I'll probably just squeeze one or two. Add a little salt and pepper to it.

6. Dump quinoa into the tomato/bean mixture and stir. Pour the dressing on and stir it up again. Top with avacados.

I loved it. Casey would have liked less lime and some chicken diced up in it. You could add green beans or asparagus or whatever else you think would make you love it.

There are lots of leftovers, the magazine said it's 12 servings, but in our house, that translates to about 6...we aren't trying to lose weight or anything, we like being a little thick, you know. Casey is going out of town for the next 4 days, so Shannon and I will eat it happily as lunch!

Bon appetit!

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Gracias for remembering me. :) That salad sounds fabulous. I'll try it soon.

I've made a few times a quinoa and cranberry salad -- it's to die for. I'll send you that recipe.

Jenny said...

Jeanine-
What exactly is quinoa and what aisle would I find it in? It sounds similar to couscous, no?

It sounds DELICIOUS! Mostly because I love anything that contains avacados and limes! Mmmm...

Steph said...

Yay you're back blogging! sounds yum :)

j9 said...

Jenny,
Yes quinoa is like couscous, it's a grain that's really high in protein, so it's a great alternative to meat. You can use it like you would use couscous or brown rice dishes. You can cook it in broths or diced tomatoes or mix it with pesto sauce! We eat it pretty often, I hope you like it, too!