Thursday, January 7, 2010

You Can't Make These Things Up

This class makes me laugh. I can't say that enough. I will give my 2 favorite examples. This little boy below, we'll call him "Chris", was waiting for me outside on Monday morning wearing these glasses. After taking off his coat, he went into full Steve Urkel mode with the voice and the walk. You can't not take a picture of it. I had tears in my eyes.




Another day before a long weekend, I let the kids clean out their desks right before the end of the day. I gave them a Lysol wipe to clean the inside and top of their dirty little desks. I also have a feather duster that I brought out and told them they could use it. The girls love using the duster, there's something sort of domestic about a feather duster that attracts young girls, I don't know why. The kids finished cleaning their desks, picking up the floor, and stacking their chairs. They were ready to go home and I sent them on their merry ways. I went to do outside duty and when I returned this was left on my desk:


It says "Baby come back" from the Swiffer commercial. I died.
I believe that laughing is a must in teaching. It's hard to pinpoint what humor does for children, but I just love their sarcasm sometimes! It's not malicious or rude, just funny and....experimental.
One of my students came back from the bathroom yesterday told me that another young boy put up his middle finger by the water fountain. Now, I know that I could hunt down that first grader and let him have it, but I just nodded my head. One of my fifth graders supplied us with the punchline we were in need of: "He sounds pleasant." All the kids started laughing and I couldn't help but join them.
What else could I do? We all got over it in .2 seconds and went on with our afternoon. So much easier.

3 comments:

2to4aday said...

I wish they had a required class at teacher-training colleges named "Sense of Humor 101." It would sure make students' lives easier and more pleasant.

Luckily, you didn't need to take a class--you were born with it!

Jenny said...

How can I arrange it so that my kids can have you as their teacher for, say, grades 1-6. Is that too much to ask?

Stacy said...

Is that photo the barbie-song-singer?